CCOG for DS 102 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- DS 102
- Course Title:
- Truck Power Train
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format and includes videos, workbooks, demonstrations, lectures and hands on learning. It prepares the student to confidently work on power trains and their components in an industrial environment.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Disassemble, inspect, reassemble and understand the power flow of transmissions.
- Remove, disassemble, reassemble and install clutches.
- Use needed tools to properly repair and maintain power trains and their components.
- Diagnose failures and research the failure symptoms in service manuals.
- Use protective gear and safe procedures in all work areas.
Course Activities and Design
- Disassemble, assemble, inspect power train components and document any failed parts.
- Learn proper use of parts and service literature.
- Identify and correctly adjust a heavy-duty pull type clutch.
- Learn gear ratios and how they are related to torque.
- Learn and practice personal safety using Personal Protective Equipment.
- Demonstrate a understanding of power flows, to be able to troubleshoot a problem in a transmission.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written multiple choice, true/false and short answer tests.
- Hands on practical tests.
- Daily/weekly/term project portfolio.
- Work ethics.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Knowledge of how and why truck power trains work.
- Learn adjustment procedures, lubrication, mechanical and electrical systems of power train systems.
- Learn history and theory of truck power trains.
- Learn about transmissions used in power train systems, their proper application and operation.
- Learn about and demonstrate the proper use of computer programs in driveline angle analysis.
- Learn and demonstrate the proper use of the tools used in power train repair.
Disassemble and reassemble various drive train components
- Learn to follow service procedures.
- Analyze condition of reusable parts.
- Learn proper cleaning procedures.
- Learn proper procedures for ordering non-reusable parts.
- Apply contamination control and organization.
- Analyze condition of assembled component.
Skills in truck power train failure diagnosis.
- Learn to recognize failures and their causes.
- Learn the resources available to the technician for research and failure identification.
- Learn to properly evaluate a failure to find the reason for the failure.
Practice Personal Safety
- Learn and practice personal safety by wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Learn and practice shop cleanliness.
- Learn and practice tool maintenance and safety.