CCOG for DH 245 Winter 2024
- Course Number:
- DH 245
- Course Title:
- Dental Hygiene Restorative Clinic IV
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course is part of the restorative curriculum approved by the Oregon Board of Dentistry. Completion of the full restorative certificate allows students to sit for the Western Regional Examining Board Restorative Exam and apply for license endorsement with the State Board of Dentistry.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course students should be able to:
- Perform chairside assisting duties during restorative procedures at a developing level.
- Demonstrate obtaining informed consent with patients with clinical competence for an entry level clinician.
- Apply pain management techniques needed for restorative procedures.
- Demonstrate placement, finishing, and polishing of permanent, temporary, and therapeutic restorations depending on patient need with clinical competence as directed by a dentist.
- Evaluate and adjust the patient's occlusion prior to final restoration evaluation by attending dentist.
Course Activities and Design
This course is a clinical course offered in the PCC dental clinic.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Skill assessment on each step of restoration placement and final quality of finished restoration. Student must meet minimum standard of 85%.
2. Student self-assessment and reflection each clinic period.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Concepts, Themes and Issues
Management of restorative dentistry
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Competencies and Skills:
Demonstrate proper rubber dam, matrix band and wedge placement.
Demonstrate knowledge in composite material and shade selection.
Demonstrate knowledge in acid etch and dental bonding agent procedures and correctly places material as required.
Accurately places, carves and finishes composite and amalgam restorations.
Uses proper handling procedures for hazardous waste.
Demonstrates occlusal evaluation and proper occlusal adjustment of each dental restoration placed.