CCOG for DH 244 Winter 2024
- Course Number:
- DH 244
- Course Title:
- Dental Hygiene Restorative Clinic III
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course is part of the restorative curriculum approved by the Oregon Board of Dentistry. Completion of the full restorative certificate allows students to sit for the Western Regional Examining Board Restorative Exam and apply for license endorsement with the State Board of Dentistry.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course students should be able to:
- Perform chairside assisting duties during restorative procedures at a developing level.
- Demonstrate obtaining informed consent with patients at a developing level.
- Apply pain management techniques needed for restorative procedures.
- Demonstrate placement, finishing, and polishing of permanent, temporary, and therapeutic restorations depending on patient need with developing level clinical competency as directed by a dentist.
- Evaluate and adjust the patient's occlusion prior to final restoration evaluation by attending dentist.
Course Activities and Design
This is a clinical course offered in the PCC dental clinic.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Skill assessment on each step of restoration placement and final quality of finished restoration. Student must meet minimum
standard of 80%
2. Student self-assessment and reflection each clinic period.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Concepts, Themes and Issues:
Management of restorative dentistry
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Competencies and Skills:
Demonstrate proper rubber dam, matrix band and wedging procedures.
Demonstrate knowledge in composite material and shade selection.
Demonstrate knowledge and placement ability in acid etch and dental bonding agents and procedures.
Correctly place bases, liners or varnishes as required.
Accurately place, carve, polish and finish amalgam and composite restorations.
Use proper handling procedures of hazardous waste.
Demonstrate occlusal evaluation and proper occlusal adjustment of each dental restoration placed.