CCOG for DH 204B Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- DH 204B
- Course Title:
- Dental Hygiene Practice IV
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Provide assessment, periodontal diagnosis, care planning, implementation of treatment and treatment evaluation techniques for the patient with moderate
periodontal disease and moderate/heavy deposits.
Course Activities and Design
Provide patient care for moderate periodontal disease and/or moderate deposits cases.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
· Create a dental hygiene treatment care plan appropriate for non-surgical moderate periodontal therapy cases.
· Create a nutritional diet for a periodontally involved patient.
· Complete clinical requirements at 75% or greater accuracy.
· Satisfactorily complete a clinical test case.
· Attend all clinic bay meetings, documentation meetings and clinical sessions unless excused.
· Using reflective learning techniques, maintain a weekly journal.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The periodontal patient
Assessment and care planning
Treatment options and sequencing
Non-surgical periodontal therapy
Nutritional analysis for oral health
New treatments, products and innovations.
Evaluation and maintenance care
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
· Describe treatment sequencing for optimum patient care.
· Explain the medical emergency protocols for the PCC clinic.
· Recognize and assess the value of various new developments in dental hygiene care.
· Explain the factors and considerations that must go into treatment planning for the periodontal patient.
· Discuss the theory, operation, maintenance and precautions associated with use of ultrasonic/sonic instruments.
· Compare and contrast hand-instrumentation and sonic/ultrasonic scaling.
· Compare and contrast irrigation therapy products and systems.
· Discuss patient management principles and problems associated with the periodontal patient.
· Discuss possible reasons for modifying an established treatment plan.
· Provide safe, effective clinical care for moderate periodontally involved patients at a developmental level.
· Demonstrate the ability to collect data for assessment, synthesize the data to form a dental hygiene diagnosis, plan, implement and evaluate treatment for a variety of clinic patients at the developmental level.
· Discuss nutritional concepts and their relationship to oral health.
· Develop a food survey plan for use by a clinic patient.