CCOG for DH 204A Winter 2024
- Course Number:
- DH 204A
- Course Title:
- Dental Hygiene Practice IV
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Provide assessment, periodontal diagnosis, care planning, implementation of treatment and treatment evaluation techniques for the patient with beginning
periodontal disease and slight/moderate deposits.
Course Activities and Design
Provide patient care for slight/beginning periodontal disease and/or slight/moderate deposits.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Create a dental hygiene treatment care plan appropriate for non-surgical slight/beginning periodontal cases.
Complete clinical requirements at 75% or greater accuracy.
Attend all clinic bay and documentation meetings and clinical sessions unless excused.
Using reflective learning techniques, maintain a weekly journal.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The slight/beginning periodontal patient
Assessment and care planning
Treatment options and sequencing
Non-surgical periodontal therapy
Evaluation and maintenance care
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
· Describe treatment sequencing for optimum patient care.
· Explain the medical emergency protocols for the PCC clinic.
· Recognize and assess the value of various new developments in dental hygiene care.
· Explain the factors and considerations that must go into treatment planning for the slight/moderate periodontal patient.
· Discuss the theory, operation, maintenance and precautions associated with use of ultrasonic/sonic instruments.
· Compare and contrast hand-instrumentation and sonic/ultrasonic scaling.
· Compare and contrast irrigation therapy products and systems.
· Discuss patient management principles and problems associated with the slight/beginning periodontal patient.
· Discuss possible reasons for modifying an established treatment plan.
· Provide safe, effective clinical care for slight/beginning periodontally involved patients at an introductory level.
· Demonstrate the ability to collect data for assessment, synthesize the data to form a dental hygiene diagnosis, plan, implement and evaluate
treatment for a variety of clinic patients at the developmental level.