Course Content and Outcomes Guide for WR 90 Effective Spring 2021
- Course Number:
- WR 90
- Course Title:
- Writing 90
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Instruction includes sentence structure, paragraph and essay development, and written expression. Students can expect to increase working vocabulary and improve skills in basic communications. Prerequisites: Placement into WR 90 or completion of WR 80 and placement into RD 90 or completion of RD 80 with a "C" or better. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Communicate in writing using a variety of sentence structures, paragraphs, and short forms that
emphasize correct grammar, punctuation, coherence, and clarity.
- Demonstrate critical thinking in written responses to text.
- Recognize and utilize pre-writing steps for composing a good essay.
- Utilize basic word processing in writing.
- Demonstrate successful college student behaviors.
- Perform successfully in Writing 115.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Grammar & punctuation practice exercises
- Paragraph Development practice exercises
- Written critical response to reading
- Final typed essays
- The following additional measures are encouraged:
a. graded homework assignments
b. written group projects
c. written responses to outside activities
d. a writing journal
e. in-class activities and participation
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- grammar and punctuation usage in sentences
- simple, complex, and compound sentences usage in paragraph development
- appropriate use of support in fully developed essays
- Punctuation and capitalization.
- Paragraph Development
- The Writing Process
- The Essay
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Word Processing