Course Content and Outcomes Guide for DS 105 Effective Fall 2021
- Course Number:
- DS 105
- Course Title:
- Fundamentals of Mobile Air Conditioning Systems
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome-based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes videos, written assignments, demonstrations, lectures and hands on learning.
This course prepares the student to diagnose and repair mobile air conditioning systems in an industrial environment.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Disassemble, inspect, reassemble air conditioning components and understand the relationship between component failure and air conditioning system operation.
- Apply knowledge of how air conditioning systems operate in order to diagnose air conditioning system failures.
- Use protective gear and safety equipment while working on air conditioning systems.
Course Activities and Design
- Test, diagnose and repair air conditioning systems.
- Learn relationship of air conditioning components and system performance.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written multiple choice, true/false and short answer tests.
- Hands on practical tests.
- Daily/weekly/term project portfolio.
- Work ethics
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Develop skills to disassemble, inspect, reassemble and test air conditioning components and understand the relationship between component failure and system operation.
Learn about different refrigerants and how to handle them safely and responsibly.
Learn about air conditioning components and design.
Learn the tools necessary to diagnose and repair system components.
Learn identification of different air conditioning system designs.
Learn to use the tools to repair air conditioning systems.
Develop Knowledge of system operation and theory
Learn relationship of air conditioning system components and theory of operation.
Skills in air conditioning system failure diagnosis
- Learn to select and operate the proper diagnostic tooling.
Learn to recognize failures and their causes.
Learn the resources available to the technician for research and failure identification.
Practice personal safety
- Learn and practice personal safety by wearing safety glasses.
Learn and practice shop cleanliness.
Learn and practice tool maintenance and safety.