Course Content and Outcomes Guide for CG 130H Effective Fall 2021
- Course Number:
- CG 130H
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Today's Careers: Health
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Identify specifics about various health professions such as physical requirements, employment opportunities, wages and length of training.
- Explore career pathways, academic expectations, shared prerequisite courses and alternative program options.
- Apply knowledge to make informed health career decisions.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Comparing and contrasting two professions of interest
2. Interviewing someone in the profession of interest
3. Keeping a journal of key information learned about each profession that the student was not aware of prior to this course
4. Reviewing a professional journal article about a specific health care career or employment issue and summarize the article, describing the implications the issue has on the health care worker or workforce.
5. Completion of a self-assessment survey on what the student wants from a career and comparing their list to what was learned in the course about each health profession.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
• Oregon Career Information Systems and other career research tools.
• Growth of healthcare industry
• Requirements of healthcare occupations
• Career pathways
• Career information and databases
• Professional licenses, certificates, and credentials
• Competition for admission into healthcare training programs
• Work schedules in healthcare occupations
• Direct patient contact or indirect patient contact
• Define one’s interests and career expectations
• Compare one’s expectations to careers explored in course
• Research wage/salary, training and preparation of selected occupations