CCOG for CJA 244 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- CJA 244
- Course Title:
- Tactical Communication in Crisis Incidents
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This training will present various communication and de-escalation models shown to be successful in the past when dealing with potentially dangerous situations involving emotionally distraught individuals. Students will formulate plans and strategies on safe approaches to hostile encounters and use effective communication skills to gain cooperation.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who have successfully completed this course will be able to:
- Using the latest communication techniques, approach and attempt to handle potentially dangerous situations while acting in an official capacity with persons experiencing emotional distress or a mental health crisis.
- Successfully diagram a “disturbance call.”
- Apply appropriate police response in the most humane, compassionate, caring and safe manner for the person experiencing emotional distress or having a mental health crisis while at the same time not exposing first responders to excessive danger.
- Communicate with the person experiencing emotional distress or having a mental health crisis using the latest strategies and techniques that help lead to a successful and non-fatal conclusion.
Course Activities and Design
- Classroom Lecture
- Guest specialists in crisis intervention and hostage negotiation
- Films and videos
- Role playing scenarios
- Group discussions
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Methods of assessment may include the following: examinations, quizzes, an interview assignment report, research papers, class participation, role playing feedback, diagramming of a crisis incident, and oral presentations and group activities.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
This course will address topics that include, but are not limited to:
- Techniques and approaches to intervention and working with people experiencing crisis, and tools for defusing and resolution, with an emphasis on safety.
- Historical background in American policing
- Communication Theories
- Survey of Successful Intervention Models
- Tactical Communication Techniques
- Mediation Basics
- Definitions and examples of Excited Delirium
- Survey of Contemporary Dispute Settlement Strategies
- Foundation Principals for Intervening in Crisis Situations