CCOG for CJA 220 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- CJA 220
- Course Title:
- Mental Health & the Law
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces mental health and disability issues arising in connection with the legal system. Covers challenges facing legal system employees including police, attorneys, and others in both their professional and personal lives. Encourages critical thinking and the use of best-practice solutions when responding to situations involving people with mental health issues. Recommended: WR 121. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Respond to those experiencing mental illness with professionalism and an understanding of mental health disorders.
- Demonstrate an increased awareness of mental health issues that legal system professionals may personally experience.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students may demonstrate learning outcomes by any, some or all of the following:
- Completing assignments designed to integrate course materials into personal & community issues concerning mental health and the law.
- Attendance at, or participation in lectures, workshops, or other community or campus events related .
- Assessments consisting of objective and/or essay questions that require integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- History & contemporary societal responses
- Classification of mental disorders
- Impacts on the community as well as legal system professionals
- Legal aspects of mental illness
- Improving response & treatment