CCOG for CHN 102 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- CHN 102
- Course Title:
- First Year Chinese
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Pronounce Chinese phonetic symbols accurately.
2. Exchange daily greetings and communicate in semi-predicable settings with appropriate vocabulary depending on age and gender.
3. Apply common cultural understandings and recognize cultural values when interacting with native speakers of Chinese.
4. Use the understanding of basic Chinese syntactic system to read and compose colloquial Chinese texts in Chinese characters.
5. Apply their understanding of Chinese to interact with native Chinese speakers.
Course Activities and Design
1. Group, pair and individual activities – communicative based activities
2. Classroom and individual projects – project-based activities
3. Individual and group presentations – project-based activities
4. Class drills – TPR and TPRS teaching methods; immersion approach
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Active participation in interactive class activities, including individual, pair or group activities
2 .Individual presentations
3. Contextual written tasks to assess reading, writing, cultural and aural competencies
4. Oral interviews with partners or instructor
5. Multimedia aids to improve listening skills, including short audio clips or films
6. Class discussions to enhance cultural awareness and knowledge
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
2.Requests and responses
8.Locations and directions
2.Affirmative and negative responses
3.Interrogatives: confirmative and informative questions
4.Personal and demonstrative pronouns
5.Complex word orders
Skills and competencies:
1.Initiate and exchange basic greetings and self-introductions in culturally appropriate manner according to gender and age
2.Formulate requests and appropriate responses for different settings
3.Describe existence and locations