CCOG for CG 140B Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- CG 140B
- Course Title:
- Career and Life Planning
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Apply self-awareness choices pertaining to work, leisure, and education.
- Access current resources and tools to enhance career development.
- Utilize a variety of decision-making models to plan for career and life choices.
- Synthesize and integrate career information using self awareness and decision making skills in order to create a career and educational plan.
Course Activities and Design
Flexible dependent on needs of student population and preferred teaching style of instructor.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students.
- Utilize career assessments to gain information specific to interest, personality, values, and skills.
- In-class participation through a variety of methods including dyads, learning teams and/or presentations.
- Presentations and reports related to information gained through career information sources.
- Develop a plan of action (written or presented) to further define career goals and educational goals.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Competencies and Skills
The following list indicates the skills students will develop by doing assignments and participating in class:
- Increase self awareness as it relates to values, interests, skills and personality.
- Use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to effectively analyze and synthesize career research to make an informed career decision.
- Research occupational/career information using various methods (informational interviews, career resource center, internet).
- Reflect on and evaluate a tentative career decision and how that relates to ongoing career decision making.
Concepts, themes, Issues
The contextualized networks of meaning students must understand in order to demonstrate the performance tasks and achieve the outcomes.
- Career Development Theories
- Values Clarification
- Career Related Interests
- Skills/Abilities (transferable, adaptive, task specific)
- Personality traits
- Career Information
- Diversity and social justice issues
- Decision-making/goal setting
- Financial literacy (understanding costs of training and education)