CCOG for CG 103 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- CG 103
- Course Title:
- College Survival and Success: Self-Management
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Focuses on the role of self-management as a means for creating college success. Continues to develop skills for navigating a culturally diverse learning environment and accessing college resources and services. Third course in a series (CG101-103). Completion of CG 101-102-103 is equivalent to CG 100. Prerequisites: CG 101. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Use concepts of self-management, time management, and money management to achieve academic and personal goals.
- Employ stress management techniques to achieve academic and personal success.
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences to participate fully in college and community.
Course Activities and Design
- Use student resources to create a year-long academic plan.
- Apply a decision-making model to academic choices.
- Create a financial budget and a time budget.
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences through case studies, simulations, video & discussion, and guest speakers.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Assess students’ ability to access resources and use them effectively (via a worksheet, quiz, presentation, etc.).
- Assess students’ ability to apply a decision-making model, identify a problem, generate solutions, apply solution(s) and assess outcome.
- Assess students’ ability to apply self-management tools for use in managing resources (money, time, etc.).
- Assess students’ ability to reflect on issues of diversity and cultural differences through use of journals, activities, and discussion.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Academic planning and goal setting
- College calendar
- Important dates and deadlines
- Paying for college
- Managing and creating positive relationships in a diverse college environment
- College/campus resources: multicultural center, women’s resource center, TRIO, computer labs, math lab, College Success Center, writing lab
- Student services: financial aid, advising, counseling, career resource center, job placement, cooperative education
- College policies