CCOG for CG 100 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- CG 100
- Course Title:
- College Survival and Success
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
1. Use the concepts of accepting personal responsibility and interdependent behaviors to achieve academic and personal goals.
2. Apply effective motivational strategies and goal setting tools to academic and personal life.
3. Communicate and participate responsibly in order to navigate college systems
4. Make informed choices regarding time, money, and self-management.
5. Use college resources and policies to determine and implement academic decisions.
6. Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences to participate fully in college and community.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include individual or group projects or group presentations, case studies, reports, portfolios, papers, quizzes and examinations, such as:
1. Demonstrate appropriate use of campus resources.
2. Create a sample academic plan.
3. Describe methods of goal setting.
4. Identify three motivational strategies.
5. Identify effective time management techniques.
6. Access campus online information.
7. Report on effective and respectful communication with instructors and students.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, and Issues
- College calendar
- College catalog
- College course planning guide
- Classroom behavior and etiquette
- Importance of course syllabus
- Student rights and responsibilities
- College grading
- Distance learning, i.e. Web CT
- Online services, i.e. MyPCC, degree audit, Panther tracks
- PCC Business accounts, 50/50 Plan, drop deadlines
- College/campus resources: multicultural center, women’s resource center, TRIO, computer labs, math lab, College Success Center, writing lab
- Student services: financial aid, advising, counseling, career resource center, job placement, cooperative education
- College policies
- Motivational strategies
- Power of goal-setting
- Time management techniques, balancing work, school, and life responsibilities
- Coping with transition
- Estimated college costs and budgets
- Financial aid
Themes, Concepts, and Issues related to Online and Remote/Hybrid Learning
- Coping with transition, change, technology ~ defining a new normal
- Use/familiarization of Zoom (or other video conferencing software) including online classroom behavior and etiquette, use of breakout rooms.
- Use of Google features for coursework
- Effective communication in an online environment
- Degrees & degree pathways
- University transfer center
- Accessing College/campus resources remotely: multicultural center, women’s resource center, TRIO, computer labs, math lab, tutoring centers (campus and online), writing lab
- Library basics/resources (remote resources/access)
- Advising remotely
- Learning MyPCC ins/outs including Virtual Help tab
- Learning D2L Brightspace ins/outs including Pulse app by Brightspace
- Time management remotely and in shared space with competing needs
- How to to use different technologies