CCOG for BIT 280A Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- BIT 280A
- Course Title:
- Work Experience
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course is intended for students who have completed all of the laboratory course work in Biotechnology, but may be taken by students part-way through the program with departmental permission. Work sites will be recruited by the program (though students are invited to investigate other possible site) and students will contact the supervisory personnel to set up interviews. Once an internship site has been agreed up, the supervisor, student and a biotechnology faculty member will meet to work out the specified goals and objectives for this work experience.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Identify learning goals and develop a work experience plan to meet the goals.
- Increase personal and professional competence by practicing techniques and procedures learned in courses, learning new job-specific skills, and gaining a more in-depth understanding of this career area.
- Meet learning outcomes specific to this course, as mutually agreed upon by the student and instructor in advance through a written learning contract, and as appropriate to the credit awarded for this course.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Identify learning objectives and related activities at the beginning of the placement, in collaboration with the work site supervisor and biotechnology faculty
- Consistently work the agreed upon hours and engage in the identified activities.
- Participate in an end-of-term evaluation process
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Identify areas for skill development
- Identify areas for improvement of career relevant attitudes and practices
- Enhance competence in identified areas
- Broaden and/or deepen knowledge of the career field
- Organize information
- Make decisions
- Reflect on learning process.
- Reflect on personal strengths and challenges with respect the this workplace
THEMES, ISSUES AND CONCEPTS
- Skills/Abilities (Transferable, Adaptive, Task Specific)
- Organizational structure of the work site
- Professional attitude and behavior
- Personal growth