CCOG for BIT 215 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- BIT 215
- Course Title:
- Protein Purification
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course provides the student with opportunities to experience the advantages and challenges of combining several purification steps into a multi-step scheme that accomplishes isolation of a protein from a complex background. This second term of Bioseparations also allows exploration of additional separation modalities not possible in the first term of the course. Most of the outcomes for this course are therefore similar or identical to those for Bioseparations I.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Carry out a multi-step purification procedure to isolate a single protein from a complex mix, using an established protocol.
Record and report the procedures, results and interpretation in standard forms of scientific communication (laboratory, notebook, written report, casual and/or formal oral communication)
Use knowledge of bioseparation principles to troubleshoot unexpected events and devise appropriate solutions.
Work effectively as part of a team in the execution and reporting of protein purification procedures.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course, the instructor will describe the methods that will be used to evaluate student progress and the criteria for assigning a course grade. These may include examinations and/or quizzes, papers and/or oral presentations, demonstration of competency in specified techniques, and evaluation of the laboratory notebook.
- Working with others in a team, carry out a major purification project according to an established protocol o Analyze the results of each purification procedure by appropriate methods.
- Maintain a complete, accurate and real-time record of procedures, results and interpretation in the laboratory notebook.
- Prepare a report in which the procedures, results and interpretations are present in the form of a standard scientific paper.
- Present in seminar format the procedures, results and interpretation of a protein purification (as carried out in lab and/or published in the literature).
- Demonstrate working knowledge of key concepts and terminology of separation techniques and principles
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Overview of protein features useful in separation
Strategies for combining low and high resolution methods
Key issues in assessing the purification
Critical issues in purification
Assay and source
Method development and modification
Analysis and characterization of product
Isoelectric focusing and 2-d electrophoresis
High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)