CCOG for BCT 223 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- BCT 223
- Course Title:
- Finished Stair Construction
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Covers the material estimation and installation of both open and closed interior residential staircases. Includes newel posts, balustrades, handrails/guardrails, shoerails and tread caps. Emphasizes the methods used to construct finish stairs and relevant building codes. Prerequisites: BCT 106 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Install interior staircase newel posts, balustrades, handrails/guardrails, shoerails and tread caps.
- Calculate and lay out stair parts to meet current building codes.
- Estimate materials needed for finish stairs.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Learners will demonstrate the safe operation of hand and power tools.
- Learners will collaboratively calculate, cut and assemble an instructor designed stair project that meets current building codes.
- Learners will effectively use class time to complete assigned project.
- Learners will demonstrate their knowledge of stair and balustrade parts and terminology.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, issues and concepts;
- A.W.I. standards
- Tool safety
- Jobsite safety
- Building codes
- Construction math
- Print reading
- Cooperative work practices
- Critical thinking
- Stair materials
- Stair and balustrade terminology
- Time management
- Calculate stair rise and run.
- Calculate evenly spaced balusters
- Layout, cut and assemble stair parts
- Use critical thinking skills to determine the best tools and materials for the task at hand
- Work collaboratively with team members to construct stair projects in given time frame
- Operate hand and power tools safely and effectively.
- Interpret and apply applicable building codes.
- Interpret and apply A.W.I. standards