CCOG for BCT 216 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- BCT 216
- Course Title:
- Cabinetry I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
To construct industry standard cabinets by formulating and interpreting cabinet shop drawings. To recognize and select appropriate materials and hardware for intended cabinet projects. To safely and appropriately use stationary and portable power tools and hand tools for cabinet machining, assembly, and finishing.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Learners will demonstrate the safe operation of hand and power tools used in cabinet construction.
- Learners will construct a cabinet meeting Architectural Woodworking Institute "custom" standard.
- Learners will assemble a bill of materials and cut list for their cabinet project.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, issues and Concepts:
- Cabinetmakers mathematics
- The nature of wood
- Wood products
- Panel goods
- Types of cabinet construction
- Cabinet hardware
- Shop Safety
- Hand and power tool safety
- Machining, surfacing and assembly
- Shop drawings and materials lists
- Cooperative work practices
- Reading and taking Imperial measurements.
- Demonstrate the safe use of power and hand tools.
- Identify and use appropriate tools and methods to fabricate the joint types (i.e. dado, rabbet) covered in class.
- Read and interpret shop drawings to determine construction methods, material types and hardware.
- Machine, surface and assemble cabinet parts.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with other students.