CCOG for BCT 214 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- BCT 214
- Course Title:
- Advanced Construction Estimating
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
To perform thorough and accurate labor estimates and material takeoffs on commercial and residential projects. To price labor and materials on all types of construction projects. To use computer software for construction estimating. To understand the construction bid process.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Learners will individually demonstrate their knowledge of estimating technology, methodology, site and project analysis, and critical time lines, by completing two "mastery exams."
- Learners will work collaboratively to calculate labor, material quantities, and unit costs.
- Learners will individually research and price alternate materials.
- Learners will prepare a subcontract bid and present their research to other members of the class for consideration.
- Learners will complete a project bid, using estimating software, by compiling subcontractor bids, analyzing general conditions, and completing force account costing.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Issues and Concepts:
- Estimating strategies
- Fundamentals of construction bid assemble
- Site and project analysis
- General conditions
- Value engineering
- Subcontractor and vendor bids
- Color coding methodology
- Computer aided estimating
- Contract documents
- Critical timelines
- Effective verbal communication
- Collect organization and document data
- Writing clearly and concisely
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Time management
- Print reading
- Computer literacy
- Team work
- Sketch to reveal patterns and meanings through visualization