CCOG for BCT 206 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- BCT 206
- Course Title:
- Sustainable Construction Practices
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces the environmental, economical, and human consequences resulting from conventional building practices and the need for sustainable design and construction. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- To practice the efficient use of natural and man-made resources in both commercial and residential building construction.
- To understand how the design and construction of a building impacts the regional environment and the health and safety of the constructors and its end users.
- To use construction materials and methods that support and contribute to the strengthening of their local economy.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Students will individually interview a professional who is currently involved in Sustainable Design or Construction using questions developed by the learner.
- Students will perform an environmental assessment of their own home or office space and present it to the class.
- Student teams will perform mini-ecocharettes on instructor provided construction projects and present their findings and improvement suggestions to the class.
- Students will complete homework assignments, quizzes and tests (mid-term & final) that will assess their understanding of the concepts discussed.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Issues & Concepts:
- Sustainable Design
- Sustainable Materials
- Sustainable Methods
- Waste Management
- Quality Control
- Environmental Stewardship
- Thinking “outside of the box”