CCOG for BCT 170 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- BCT 170
- Course Title:
- Excel for Contractors
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
A major goal is to develop better computation skills using Excel. Improved critical thinking, decision-making, and problem-solving skills will also be emphasized.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Use Microsoft Excel to create construction industry standard spreadsheets.
- Use critical thinking skills to design and create spreadsheets.
- Communicate in a construction industry setting using spreadsheet vocabulary.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A letter grade will be issued for this course based upon:
· performance tests
· may include objective tests, scored assignments, or projects
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
· Communicate effectively using appropriate spreadsheet vocabulary.
· Use critical thinking and problem solving skills in designing spreadsheets for various business
problems with an emphasis on construction estimating.
· Proofread for accuracy in the entry of data and creation of formulas.
· Assess the document for accuracy, readability, and appearance.
· Develop efficiency with specific sets of skills through repetitive reinforcement.
· Students will develop proficiency through reinforcement and assessment on the following skills:
· Building basic worksheets by entering text, numbers, and formulas.
· Generating pie and column charts
· Developing skills in formatting, saving, and printing accurate, readable worksheets.
· Creating formulas using absolute and relative references, IF, PMT, VLOOKUP functions and
Average, AutoSum, and grand total. Developing skills in managing multiple-sheet worksheets.
· Developing decision-making skills by using what-if analysis on spreadsheets.
· Creating lists and using sort and filter features.
· Creating a spreadsheet from data with no specific instructions.
Students will be familiar with the following skills:
· Using help features.
· Creating templates.
· Using 3-D referencing.
· Using additional functions such as PMT, maximum, and minimum.
· Students may be exposed to additional spreadsheet skills/concepts.