CCOG for BCT 133 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- BCT 133
- Course Title:
- Commercial Materials and Methods
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces function and performance characteristics of basic building materials, components, sequences and methods in the construction process. Emphasizes commercial construction. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Make informed decisions by critically examining resources to identify appropriate materials and methods for commercial construction projects.
- Appraise materials for function, utility, substitutions, and cost effective performance for construction projects.
- Recognize and employ C.S.I. classifications for finding information for materials and methods on construction projects.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Collaboratively research and compile a written and photo-site essay on a commercial construction task by visiting an appropriate site, acquiring related documents and conducting interviews.
- Student teams will present an informational demonstration on a building material.
- Students will review and report on current articles in construction periodicals relevant to themes, issues and concepts of the class.
- Students will individually demonstrate their mastery of the themes, issues and concepts of BCT 103 completing mastery examinations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, issues and concepts:
- Wood products
- Product grading
- Product inspection
- Site conditions
- Synthetic products
- C S I mastery format
- Finishes, Interior and Exterior
- Properties of materials
- Light framing construction
- Research including Internet resources
- Verbal communication
- Written communication
- Critical thinking