CCOG for BCT 116 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- BCT 116
- Course Title:
- Alternative Building Design
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
This course introduces students to natural green building principles used in the design and construction of alternative buildings such as straw bale, cobb and rammed earth. Student team will develop designs by constructing scaled models, and will then prepare and deliver presentations that defend and promote their designs. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Practice the efficient use of natural and man-made resources in building construction.
- Solve building construction problems using mathematics and natural science.
- Design a structure using natural green building principles.
- Effectively communicate design and construction strategies.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Based on the given use and location of a building, students will determine alternative building type, solar orientation, shape, and roof style.
- Student teams will construct a model of their design.
- Student teams will produce PowerPoint presentations showing why they chose their design and orientation, why the customer should choose their design, and how they used math and science to support their conclusions.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Issues & Concepts:
- Internet research
- Sustainable Design
- Sustainable Materials
- Sustainable Methods
- Quality Control
- Environmental Stewardship
- Critical Thinking