CCOG for BA 242 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- BA 242
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Investments
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Introduction to Investments is designed to expose the student to the financial world of investments. The course provides the student information about primary and secondary markets, the various exchanges and the OTC market. It covers margin trading and short selling, as well as options. Where and how to find security information will be covered. In real estate the student will be exposed to commercial investments, such as apartments.
This course is applicable as elective credit toward an Associate degree and may be transferable to a four-year institution.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Apply the principles of investing including the concepts of risk and return.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the major investment vehicles.
- Communicate effectively using basic terminology associated with the investment environment.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be expected to demonstrate knowledge of the concepts described in the required competencies by any combination of the following:
- Class participation
- Written analysis of investment opportunities
- Individual or group projects
- Oral presentations
- Completion of assessment examinations
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
INTENDED OUTCOMES FOR THE COURSE:
Themes, Concepts and Issues
1. Investment vehicles
2. Calculation of investment returns
3. Relationship of risk and return
4. Compound interest fundamentals
5. The securities markets
6. Buying and selling securities
7. Investing vs speculation
Competencies and Skills
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the various investment opportunities, including debt securities, stocks and mutual funds
2. Explain the workings of the securities markets
3. Locate, retrieve and analyze security information
4. Analyze basic financial statements
5. Recognize speculative investments
6. Analyze a commercial real estate project