CCOG for ASL 265 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- ASL 265
- Course Title:
- Fingerspelling and Numbers in ASL
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
All lectures and class activities will be conducted in ASL.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Use fingerspelling when linguistically appropriate.
- Apply principles of ASL numbering systems correctly.
- Produce fingerspelled words and numbers with correct hand and arm position, palm orientation, handshape, and movement.
- Use clozure skills to determine semantic content of fingerspelled words.
- Recognize the difference between rapid, careful, and lexicalized fingerspelling.
Course Activities and Design
This course will include live and recorded demonstrations, drills, lecture, student presentations, games and other hands-on activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Quizzes and exams assess receptive skills, and videotaped student narratives for assessment of expressive skills.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Fingerspelling of names, proper nouns, place names, and technical terms
- Lexicalized fingerspelling
- ASL numbering systems including cardinal, ordinal, ranks, age, money, time, calendars, height, weight, measurement, scores, and mathematical numbers