CCOG for ASL 265 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- ASL 265
- Course Title:
- Fingerspelling and Numbers in ASL
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
All lectures and class activities will be conducted in ASL. No spoken English is permitted.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Use fingerspelling when linguistically appropriate.
- Apply principles of ASL numbering systems correctly.
- Produce fingerspelled words and numbers with correct hand and arm position, palm orientation, handshape, and movement.
- Use clozure skills to determine semantic content of fingerspelled words.
- Recognize the difference between rapid, careful, and lexicalized fingerspelling.
Course Activities and Design
This course will include live and recorded demonstrations, drills, lecture, student presentations, games and other hands-on activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Quizzes and exams assess receptive skills, and videotaped student narratives for assessment of expressive skills.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Fingerspelling of names, proper nouns, place names, and technical terms
- Lexicalized fingerspelling
- ASL numbering systems including cardinal, ordinal, ranks, age, money, time, calendars, height, weight, measurement, scores, and mathematical numbers