CCOG for WLD 225 archive revision 201604
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Fall 2016 through Fall 2021
- Course Number:
- WLD 225
- Course Title:
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding: (Mild Steel) Pipe II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, and lab demonstrations covering technical skills. Course outcomes will include; theoretical concepts, layout, fabrication, welding and oxyfuel cutting.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Interpret blueprints to accurately layout, prepare and assemble pipe joints to specified tolerances.
- Demonstrate welding 2 inch schedule 80 mild steel pipe in the 5G and 6G positions to ASME Section IX Code quality standards.
- Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with ASME Section IX.
Course Activities and Design
Welding lec/lab courses are Open -Entry and Open Exit (OE/OE) and are offered concurrently. Courses are designed to meet the needs of the student with flexible scheduling options. Students may attend full time or part time. This is an OE/OE course which does not align with the normal academic calendar.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, visual inspection, welding tests and task performance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding lab.
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear
- Understand and practice power tool safety
- Understand and maintain a safe work area
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
Interpret blueprints to accurately layout, prepare and assemble weld joints.
- Interpret lines, symbols, views and notes
- Layout material per drawing specification
- Assemble and weld project per specification
Demonstrate welding 2 inch schedule 80 mild steel pipe in the 5G and 6G positions to ASME Section IX Code quality standards.
- Demonstrate correct welding techniques
- Follow welding procedure
- Demonstrate visual examination principles and practices in accordance with ASME Section IX
Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with ASME Section IX.
- Evaluate welds using appropriate welding inspection tools
- Assess weld discontinuities causes and corrections.