CCOG for PE 291A archive revision 201403
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Summer 2014 through Fall 2019
- Course Number:
- PE 291A
- Course Title:
- Lifeguard Training
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
In addition, an American Red Cross “CPR for the Professional Rescuer” certificate will be awarded on successful completion.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Acquire American Red Cross certifications in Lifeguard Training, and also CPR for the -Professional Rescuer.
- Apply lifesaving and lifeguarding skills in the aquatics environment.
- Acquire knowledge regarding lifeguarding employment opportunities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written quizzes and examinations
- In–water and on-deck skills assessments
- Attendance, participation, and practice records.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Professional lifeguarding
- Injury prevention
- Facility safety
- Patron surveillance
- Emergency preparation
- Rescue skills
- Breathing and cardiac emergencies
- First aid
- Caring for head, neck, and back injuries
- Basic precautions in disease prevention
- Understand the characteristics, benefits, and responsibilities of a professional lifeguard.
- Perform various in-water rescues
- Demonstrate modified swimming approaches and water entries
- Perform on-deck rescue skills including CPR, first aid, and in-line stabilization.
- Describe injury prevention concepts such as rules enforcement, patron education, and safety checks
- Demonstrate in-water spinal injury management techniques
- Perform victim recognition, and scanning skills
- Describe proper steps in emergency response