CCOG for PE 287 archive revision 287
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Summer 2014 through Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- PE 287
- Course Title:
- Professional Activities: Aquatics
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
A. Explore aquatic fitness employment opportunities.
B. Apply knowledge of exercise science and hydrodynamics to aquatic exercise.
C. Model quality aquatic instruction principles when teaching aquatic exercise to clients.
D. Design and implement aquatic exercise programming.
E. Utilize and enhance aquatic programming and teaching strategies learned through critical analysis of professionals in the industry.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written research assignments
- Written quizzes and examinations
- Program write-ups
- Teaching demonstrations
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Aquatic certification and employment opportunities
- Target heart rate in an aquatics environment
- Exercise physiology in an aquatic setting (cardiovascular response, thermoregulation, special populations)
- Industry safety issues, standards, legal/liability issues (special populations/pool environment)
- Hydrodynamics and teaching in the water (differences from land)
- Aquatic exercise lesson plans and teaching demonstrations
- Benefits of water exercise
- Aquatic teaching styles, methods, and class program and content
- Principles of fitness including warm-up, cool down, stretching, training modes, intensity, etc.
- Music and equipment selection
- AEA and industry standards for aquatic programming and implementation