CCOG for MUS 215 archive revision 201901
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Winter 2019 through Summer 2021
- Course Number:
- MUS 215
- Course Title:
- Reverberations of Video Game Music
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Identify the historical developments in video game music including pioneers and significant composers to summarize the cultural impacts of video game music and sound on modern society.
Analyze the musical and sound content of video games using industry specific technical terminology and concepts associated with sound design in interactive media.
- Provide critical analysis of how music and sound is used along with visual elements in order to heighten and intensify the experience of the gamer.
Students completing an associate degree at Portland Community College will be able to reflect on one’s work or competencies to make connections between course content and lived experience.
- Use an understanding of sound and music in commercial video games in order to apply techniques to other disciplines such as performance art, film, and for therapeutic purposes.
Course Activities and Design
Comparison and contrast to film music
Survey of early arcade video game sound and music
Survey of early home consoles games, sounds, and music
Analysis of the function of music and sound in video games
Analysis of video game market and music and sound production process
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Any or all of the following may be used:
Research papers including audio/video examples
Short answer quizzes
Sound and music aural identification
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Pinball machines and arcade sounds
Arcade games and sounds
Home consoles and death of the arcade
Rise of MIDI and home computer games
Advanced home consoles
Audio production process for game music and sound
Popular music and video games
Interactivity and dynamic music composition
The gender gap in video game industry