CCOG for MUS 195A archive revision 201403
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Summer 2014 through Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- MUS 195A
- Course Title:
- Symphonic Band
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Provides the opportunity to participate in a conducted symphonic band for brass, woodwind and percussion instrumentalists. Includes rehearsal and performance of repertoire from the 17th- 21st centuries. Available to students with previous high-school level band experience or equivalent.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Use an understanding of elementary musicianship and performance etiquette to perform basic repertory to a public audience as a member of a music ensemble.
- Use an understanding of elementary music literacy to prepare and rehearse basic repertory as a member of a large music ensemble.
- Use an understanding of elementary rehearsal techniques and etiquette to follow a conductor, annotate music, and be a contributing member of a music large ensemble.
- Use an understanding of the stylistic differences in elementary repertory to accurately interpret instrumental band music in performance.
- Use an elementary understanding of their primary instrument to continue to improve as a performer of music.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Qualitative and quantitative examination of assigned part(s) in solo or sectional application.
- Participation, attendance, attitude.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Rehearsal and performance of standard collegiate-level band repertoire from the 17th century to the contemporary period.
- Development of musical skills: articulation, dynamic control, phrasing good tone production, balance and sight-reading..
- The conductor and the baton – metric patterns and cues.
- Performance etiquette.
- Execute assigned part(s) as directed by the conductor.
- Listen and respond to conductor, section leaders and ensemble.
- Sight-read part at appropriate level as assigned by conductor.