CCOG for MUS 166F archive revision 201802
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Spring 2018 through Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- MUS 166F
- Course Title:
- Jazz Ensemble VI
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Instructor should assign repertoire according to individual abilities and available instrumentation. Works will be selected from the standard jazz repertoire.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Publicly perform advanced repertoire as a member of an instrumental ensemble using elementary musicianship skills and performance etiquette.
- Individually prepare and rehearse advanced repertoire as a member of an instrumental ensemble utilizing an understanding of elementary music literacy.
- Follow a conductor, annotate music, and be a contributing member of an instrumental ensemble during rehearsal using an understanding of rehearsal techniques and etiquette.
- Accurately interpret instrumental music in performance and demonstrate an understanding of stylistic differences in repertoire.
- Use an advanced understanding of their primary instrument to continue to improve as a performer of music.
Course Activities and Design
Rehearse instrumental repertoire from the entire historical range of jazz music
Create and rehearse methods for improvisation
Address stylistic concerns in musical interpretation of jazz music
Rehearse and demonstrate performance etiquette in jazz music
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Methods used to evaluate student progress and the criteria for assigning a course letter grade should be made clear by the instructor at the beginning of the course. The individual instructor will determine the method of assessment. Assessment methods may include:
Successful knowledge and execution of individual part(s)
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The following skills are expected to successfully meet the minimum requirement of "C" of "Pass" for the course.
Learn individual part(s) from printed music score.
Execute stylistic practices according to repertoire.
Work with other musicians to prepare and perform musical works.