CCOG for MSD 105 archive revision 105
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Summer 2014 through Winter 2023
- Course Number:
- MSD 105
- Course Title:
- Workplace Communication Skills
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, the student should be able to:
Apply principles of interpersonal communication to present information and convey needs clearly withinthe context of a diverse workplace.Implement techniques in resolving conflicts utilizing a broad range of communication skills to build effective work relationships.Evaluate one’s own behavior and adapt various communication styles to enhance professional growth.Analyze the limits and benefits of using technology when participating in interpersonal interactions in the workplace.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill building activities such as role-plays, case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Assessing personal communication competence
- Satisfying physical, social and practical needs
- Initiating steps to changing self-concept
- Using cultural sensitivity
- Being self-monitoring of communication patterns
- Using perception checking
- Deliberately crafting meaningful messages
- Monitoring non-verbal behavior of self and others
- Using a variety of listening styles
- Managing debilitative emotions
- Facilitating effective relationships
- Appropriate self-disclosure
- Building supportive communication climates
- Resolving conflict and using win-win approach
- Managing communication through formal and informal means
CONCEPTS, THEMES & ISSUES:
Meeting basic human needs for communication
Cultural values, beliefs, norms
Dynamics, intimacy, and distance
Work and family dynamics
Communicating clearly with diverse audiences
Adapting communication style for varied contexts
Communication through technology
Barriers to effective communication
Adapting communication style to varied contexts
Apply principles of interpersonal communication to present information and convey needs clearly within the context of a diverse workplace.
Implement techniques in resolving conflicts utilizing a broad range of communication skills to build effective work relationships.
Evaluate one’s own behavior and adapt various communication styles to enhance professional growth.
Analyze the limits and benefits of using technology when participating in interpersonal interactions in the workplace.
Content (Activities, Skills, Concepts, etc.):
Assessing personal communication competence
Using cultural sensitivity
Being self-monitoring of communication patterns
Using perception checking
Deliberately crafting meaningful messages
Monitoring non-verbal behavior of self and others
Using a variety of listening styles
Managing debilitative emotions
Facilitating effective relationships
Building supportive workplace communication climates
Resolving conflict and using win-win approach
Managing communication through formal and informal means