CCOG for ECE 181 archive revision 201403
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Summer 2014 through Summer 2017
- Course Number:
- ECE 181
- Course Title:
- Early Childhood Professional English B
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
To successfully complete ECE ___ (ECP English B), students will be able to:
Write a clear, satisfactory* short answer in response to a question (explanation of "satisfactory" below).
Write a short running observation (5 sentences minimum).
Demonstrate familiarity with a minimum of 3 rhetorical styles (journal; anecdotal observation; running observation; summary; self-evaluation).
Demonstrate ability to understand and use a core ECE vocabulary of approximately 280 words.
Demonstrate ability to identify grammatical structures and use them appropriately in a variety of oral and written contexts.
*Explanation of “Satisfactory” Short Answer:
An satisfactory short-answer response responds accurately to the question; uses an appropriate rhetorical style; refers to source material when needed; uses tense appropriately and consistently; uses subject-appropriate vocabulary; demonstrates 70% grammatical accuracy; is typed; is a minimum of 60 words in length.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will write and revise a minimum of four out-of-class short-answer responses using a variety of rhetorical styles; pass a minimum of 8 vocabulary quizzes; demonstrate familiarity with grammatical constructions; pass a midterm and a final exam.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Grammar and Mechanics
- Critical Thinking
Competencies and Skills:
A. Grammar and Mechanics
- Infinitives and modals
- Nouns: count and mass distinction, plurals
- The simple future and simple past tenses
- Correlative conjunctions (simple and compound sentences)
- Application of formatting, punctuation, and capitalization rules
B. Rhetorical Skills
- Competently use several of the following styles: journal writing, anecdotal observation, narrative, description
- Use indirect quotation appropriately
- Competently translate brief Spanish-language passages
C. Critical Thinking
- Avoids plagiarism
- Distinguish between descriptive and expository writing
- Distinguish between objective and subjective information
- Use an English-English dictionary