CCOG for ECE 179 archive revision 201502
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Spring 2015 through Fall 2016
- Course Number:
- ECE 179
- Course Title:
- The Power of Portfolios in Early Education
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge base of our degree-seeking students (who are required to take 6 – 10 credits of elective credit) while also providing an accessible, interesting, and relevant course to students who are seeking to meet their professional development requirements and/or who might have limited experience in the college setting.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
· Identify common components of child portfolios.
· Articulate various observation and organization plans to facilitate the collection of developmental information.
· Employ digital technology in organizing portfolio data and creating portfolio entries.
· Practice using portfolios to demonstrate development during parent conferences.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group activities.
- Complete written observations and assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Portfolio components.
- Collaborating with children and families in creating portfolios.
- Productive observation plans (assessment possibilities, observation schedules, focus on domains, etc.).
- Effective organization systems.
- Digital technology (digital photography, use of scanners, word processing and simple graphic design software use).
- Use of portfolios in parent conferences and EI/ECSE case conferences and in demonstrating achievement of standards.