CCOG for ECE 173 archive revision 201801
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Winter 2018 through Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- ECE 173
- Course Title:
- Children and Loss: The Effects of Death and Divorce
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge base of our degree-seeking students (who are required to take 6 – 10 credits of elective credit) while also providing an accessible, interesting, and relevant course to students who are seeking to meet their professional development requirements and/or who might have limited experience in the college setting.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Articulate common effects of divorce and death on the development and behavior of young children.
- Identify resources for children and families during difficult times.
- Identify strategies for supporting children who are experiencing a loss in their lives.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group activities.
- Complete written observations and assignments
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- When a loss occurs: Roles and responses of children, teachers, parents, families.
- Summary of normal social/emotional development
- Stages of grieving.
- Possible behavior or emotional symptoms arising from stress due to loss or changed family structure/circumstances.
- Community supports and resources for children and families experiencing a loss or change in family structure.