CCOG for ECE 122I archive revision 202002
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Spring 2020 through Summer 2020
- Course Number:
- ECE 122I
- Course Title:
- Environments and Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
As part of the NAEYC Accreditation, students must complete 10 hours of classroom time at an Infant or Toddler Classroom. The classroom time must include both observation and engagement with children. The classroom must be an Early Start Classroom or a licensed child care facility serving infants and toddlers.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Articulate the teacher’s role in incorporating development, culture, and play in the creation of indoor and outdoor learning environments and supporting curriculum for infants and toddlers.
- Discuss theoretical perspectives on environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers.
- Identify principles and components of appropriate environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers.
- Describe the role of individual child routines and schedules in environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers.
- Review safety and health rules and regulations in the creation of environments for infants and toddlers.
- Review use of lesson planning and webbing in the creation of environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers.
Course Activities and Design
- Complete observations of infants/toddlers and professionals in an early education environments.
- Evaluate infant and toddler environments using environment rating scales and others evaluation tools as assigned.
- Develop lesson plans based individual child routines, interests and development.
- Complete quizzes or exams.
- Engage in activities and tasks related to course content.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group discussions.
- Complete site observation and evaluation reports.
- Complete and present a term project.
- Complete written quizzes or exams.
- Complete 10 hours of observation and participation at an Early Head Start Site
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities relating to:
- Linkages between infant and toddler development, culture, and appropriate environments.
- The social and emotional atmosphere of the environment that works.
- Routines/Schedules for infants and toddlers
- Safety", Health, Rules, and Regulations in ECE settings
- Selecting materials for environments specific to infants and toddlers.
- Designing environments for infants and toddlers.
- The adult's role in supporting infants and toddlers in environments.
- Curriculum development or infants and toddlers