CCOG for ECE 122I archive revision 201902
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Spring 2019 through Winter 2020
- Course Number:
- ECE 122I
- Course Title:
- Environments and Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Covers theories of physical and social space, activities, experiences, and materials and the relationships between them for children ages six weeks-three years of age. Introduces the use of developmentally and culturally appropriate practices in planning, selecting, and evaluating environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers in home-based and center-based care. Reviews child development (social/emotional, cognitive, gross/fine motor, communication/language, self-help), relationship-based care, routines, transitions and play with infants and toddlers. Includes planning and implementing environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers. Requires: Up to 10 hours of ECE site observations. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Requires: 10 hours at an Early Head Start Site.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Articulate the teacher’s role in incorporating development, culture, and play in the creation of indoor and outdoor learning environments and supporting curriculum for infants and toddlers.
- Discuss theoretical perspectives on environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers.
- Identify principles and components of appropriate environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers.
- Describe the role of individual child routines and schedules in environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers.
- Review safety and health rules and regulations in the creation of environments for infants and toddlers.
- Review use of lesson planning and webbing in the creation of environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers.
Course Activities and Design
- Complete observations of infants/toddlers and professionals in an early education environments.
- Evaluate infant and toddler environments using environment rating scales and others evaluation tools as assigned.
- Develop lesson plans based individual child routines, interests and development.
- Complete quizzes or exams.
- Engage in activities and tasks related to course content.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group discussions.
- Complete site observation and evaluation reports.
- Complete and present a term project.
- Complete written quizzes or exams.
- Complete 10 hours of observation and participation at an Early Head Start Site
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities relating to:
- Linkages between infant and toddler development, culture, and appropriate environments.
- The social and emotional atmosphere of the environment that works.
- Routines/Schedules for infants and toddlers
- Safety", Health, Rules, and Regulations in ECE settings
- Selecting materials for environments specific to infants and toddlers.
- Designing environments for infants and toddlers.
- The adult's role in supporting infants and toddlers in environments.
- Curriculum development or infants and toddlers