CCOG for ECE 122 archive revision 201403
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Summer 2014 through Summer 2017
- Course Number:
- ECE 122
- Course Title:
- Environments and Curriculum in Early Care and Ed I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course is intended to broaden students' ideas of what constitutes an environment for young children (extending into physical", cognitive, creative, social, cultural, and familial domains) and to build students' foundational knowledge of what constitutes a safe, appropriate environment. Specific environmental considerations (environments to build language and literacy, environments for children with special needs," environments that actively reflect multicultural practices) and criteria for evaluating environments (using environmental rating scales) will be explored in later courses.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Articulate the teacher’s role in incorporating development, culture, and play in the creation of indoor and outdoor learning environments and supporting curriculum.
Discuss theoretical perspectives on environments and curriculum for young children.
Identify principles and components of appropriate environments and curriculum.
Describe the role of routines and schedules in environments and curriculum.
Review safety and health rules and regulations in the creation of environments for young children.
Review use of lesson planning and webbing in the creation of environments and curriculum.
Discuss use of observation and assessment to plan, implement and evaluate environments and curriculum.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group activities.
- Complete site visitations and evaluation reports.
- Complete and present a term project.
- Complete written quizzes or exams.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities relating to:
- Linkages between development", culture, and appropriate environments.
- The feel of an environment that works.
- Safety", Health, Rules, and Regulations
- Components of the physical", social, cultural, familial environment.
- Selecting Materials for environments for young children.
- Designing Environments for young children.
- The adult's role in supporting children in environments.