CCOG for CG 111A archive revision 201501
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Winter 2015 through Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- CG 111A
- Course Title:
- Study Skills for College Learning
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Apply preferred learning style to coursework in classroom and homework settings to maximum learning potential.
- Apply note taking strategies.
- Employ effective textbook reading strategies for college learning.
- Implement strategies for memory and test taking.
- Utilize time management techniques to create a study schedule and manage procrastination.
- Utilize library resources for information and research.
- Apply critical thinking skills to analyze, interpret, and evaluate course content and information.
Course Activities and Design
Teaching modalities may include: lectures; PowerPoint presentations; Internet sites; individual student assignments exploring multiple aspects of study skills. May also include class discussions; case study analyses, students projects and presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may address the learning outcomes by means of the following:
- Written reflection and/or presentation on key course concepts.
- Participation in group discussion
- Quizzes and exams
- Practice specific techniques, track effectiveness, and revise to meet personal/educational goals.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Essential study strategies for college learning
- Time management
- Learning styles
- College reading
- Note taking
- Test taking
- Critical thinking
- Short term and long term memory
- Library resources and databases
- Test Anxiety
- Determining key concepts
- Assessing strengths and weaknesses
- Study environment
- Skill application specific to discipline
- Take effective notes
- Read for comprehension and retention
- Evaluate various types of tests and select appropriate test taking techniques
- Develop a personalized study schedule
- Apply learning style to college learning
- Employ memory strategies
- Research methods
- Employ appropriate levels of thinking