CCOG for ARCH 133 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- ARCH 133
- Course Title:
- Commercial Building Codes
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course is a required for an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Architectural Design & Drafting.
Transferability of credit depends entirely upon the institution to which the student wishes to transfer.
Students who may have a disability and wish an accommodation should make arrangements to meet with the instructor outside of class to discuss specific requests. Any request for accommodation may require that documentation of disability be reviewed by the Office for Students with Disabilities
Intended Outcomes for the course
Communicate commercial code requirements to clients and design professionals.
Analyze and apply code parameters to the design of light frame commercial buildings.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Student to analyze a given building, using IBC and zoning codes, to arrive at building analysis (term project, plus weekly practices).
- Student to demonstrate willingness and ability to work in small groups during class to provide input and solve in-class assignments, and articulate findings to class.
- Student to demonstrate time management skills by completion of projects by assigned by assigned deadlines and by meeting specific objectives for each phase of class projects.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Course materials will be presented in a lecture and discussion format, using multimedia presentations (slides, overheads, videos) showing examples of code applications in various buildings, and tables from code books.
- Discussions will be supplemented by handouts that summarize highlights of the codes, due to the extensive amount of information in the codes.
- Weekly assignments will provide an opportunity for student to apply class information to actual building examples.
- Short answer midterm and final exams will cover a summary of information for International Building Codes.