Course Content and Outcomes Guide for AD 104 Effective Fall 2021
- Course Number:
- AD 104
- Course Title:
- Multicultural Counseling
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Focuses on diversity of populations using addiction counseling services. Emphasizes developing understanding of relevant cultural differences and building skills in addressing them. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Use culturally responsive communication skills.
- Develop strategies for resolving communication conflict.
- Articulate the importance of evidence-based, culturally-specific treatment strategies including medication-assisted treatment.
- Complete a cultural assessment that meets Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR) 309-018-0170.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- From: Outline, and demonstrate through role playing activities, the standard communication style of their culture of origin.
- To: Complete a cultural interview and reflection that emphasizes the impact that context has on individual development.
- From: Attendance at 4 cultural oriented self-help meetings.
- To: Written review of 4 cultural films and documentaries
- Demonstrate attainment of cultural self knowledge by completion of cultural self assessment task and assignment on family culture of origin.
- List of minimum of eight values widely shared in the student's culture of origin.
- Write a paragraph describing how each of the values listed has impacted their personal value system and self image.
- Outline, and demonstrate through role playing activities, the standard communication style of their culture of origin.
- Complete assignment defining and giving examples of cultural assumptions, projection and misattribution.
- List five of the most common areas of misattribution or conflict between their culture of origin's communication style and that of four other cultural groups.
- Be able to generate a minimum of 12 sentence stems and follow-up probes, the answers to which would provide the cultural assessment information needed to meet OAR requirements.
- Demonstrate familiarity with resources specific to cultural groups in Oregon through written assignment and class presentation.
- Attendance at 4 cultural oriented self-help meetings.