CCOG for WLD 236B Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- WLD 236B
- Course Title:
- Advanced Wire Welding
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
• Function safely in a welding shop environment.
• Operate oxyacetylene portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
• Apply the use of visual inspection tools as set forth in AWS D1.1 to determine weld quality.
• Interpret blueprints and shop drawings to produce proper weld sizes and profiles.
• Use heat and puddle control to make “out of position welds”.
Course Activities and Design
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. Upon successful completion of this course, the student will have demonstrated the outcomes that were agreed upon by the student and the instructor at the beginning of the course. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, and lab demonstrations covering technical skills. Course competencies will include: layout, fabrication, welding, oxyfuel cutting, applied Math and Science and safety and environmental awareness
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course, the course syllabus will identify the methods used to evaluate student progress and the criteria for assigning a course grade. The student will be evaluated on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of evaluation may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, welding tests, safe work habits, task performance, and work relations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS COMPETENCIES
Student will understand and practice personal safety
- Understand the importance of personal health and fitness
- Use proper protective gear
- Understand situation awareness
- Use correct manual lifting techniques
- Student will understand and practice tool safety
- Use hand tool safely
- Use power tool safely
Student will understand and practice equipment safety
- Demonstrate safety procedures required in the use of a welding machines and cutting systems.
Student will understand and maintain a safe work area.
- Maintain a clean and clutter free floor
- Understand the importance of adequate lighting
- Recognize objects that might fall
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
- Understand the importance of space management in regards to safety
- Understand and practice fire prevention
Student will understand aspects of the welding industry that effect the environment (environmental awareness)
- Identify hazardous materials
- Identify the purpose of a Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and where MSDS sheets are kept.
- Understand the effects of hazardous materials and welding fumes on the atmosphere
- Understand correct procedures when working in or around containers or vessels
WIRE WELDING COMPETENCIES
Develop knowledge and skills in the Wire Welding
- Processes with the following electrode(s) and shielding gas(es).
- The instructor and the student will determine the course competencies at the first class session.