CCOG for WLD 224 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- WLD 224
- Course Title:
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding: (Mild Steel) Pipe I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, and lab demonstrations covering technical skills. Course outcomes will include; theoretical concepts, layout, fabrication and welding.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, assemble and weld joints to specified tolerances.
- Demonstrate welding an open root groove joint on plates in the horizontal, vertical and over head positions; and on 6 inch schedule 80 pipe in the horizontal position.
- Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with ASME Section IX.
Course Activities and Design
Welding lec/lab courses are Open-Entry and Open-Exit (OE/OE) and are offered concurrently. Courses are designed to meet the needs of the student with flexible scheduling options. Students may attend full time or part time. This is an OE/OE course which does not align with the normal academic calendar.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, visual inspection and welding tests.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear
- Understand and practice and power tool safety
- Understand and maintain a safe work are.
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out , prepare and assemble weld joints.
- Interpret lines, symbols, views and notes
- Layout material per specification
- Assemble weld project per specification
- Prepare 6 inch diameter pipe using the oxy- fuel pipe beveler
Demonstrate welding an open root groove joint on plates in the horizontal, vertical and over head positions; and on 6 inch schedule 80 pipe in the horizontal position.
- Assemble and weld plate and pipe in the 2G, 3G and 4G positions using GTAW and SMAW processes
- Demonstrate correct welding techniques
- Follow welding procedure
Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with ASME Section IX.
- Evaluate welds using appropriate welding inspection tools
- Assess weld discontinuities causes and corrections