CCOG for PE 140A Spring 2023
- Course Number:
- PE 140A
- Course Title:
- Boxing I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces basic knowledge and fundamental techniques used in boxing. Utilizes boxing equipment and focus pads to simulate contact. Offers the opportunity to practice defensive techniques with other students or the instructor. Boxing gloves and hand wraps are required. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course students should be able to:
Develop a physical fitness plan that includes boxing.
Distinguish a professional boxing match from a workout in order to determine appropriate gear, rules, etiquette and length.
- Apply the fundamental rules of engagement, strategies, and tactics of the sport.
- Pursue increased levels of aerobic and anaerobic fitness, agility, coordination, and flexibility.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health and wellness program that incorporates boxing.
Course Activities and Design
- Improvement of overall physical conditioning through Boxing techniques
- Perform safe and effective Boxing techniques*Develop life-long fitness, health and wellness
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs*Active partition/effort
- Demonstrations of proficiency*Written assignments and/or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Practice safe and effective warm-ups and cool-downs
- Intensity monitoring via target heart rate, Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) and talk test method.
- Components of fitness-related physical fitness and their benefits for lifelong fitness.
- Personal fitness assessment.
- Goal-Setting*Personal fitness program design.
- Modify exercises and activities for varying physical conditions and individual fitness level.