CCOG for HE 295 Spring 2023
- Course Number:
- HE 295
- Course Title:
- Health and Fitness for Life
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Explores how the interrelationships of physical activity and social determinants of health affect lifelong health, wellness, and physical fitness. Applies fitness principles and wellness concepts to promote health, wellness, and improve physical fitness. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Note: If a student is taking HE 295 to complete the Health/Wellness/Fitness requirement of the AAOT Degree or the Health requirement of the AS Degree they are required to also take PE 295. In these cases, it is encouraged, though not required, to take these courses during the same term.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Use information to illustrate the impact of physical activity and social determinants on health, wellness, and physical fitness.
- Develop behavior change strategies to enhance personal wellness and improve physical fitness status.
- Design a physical activity program to improve personal fitness and enhance lifelong health and wellness.
Course Activities and Design
- Consider Social Determinants of Health to fitness and wellness concepts
- Apply decision-making skills to fitness concepts and wellness dimensions
- Employ physical activity to enhance fitness and wellness
- Wellness and fitness program design
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course, the instructor will detail the methods used to evaluate student progress and the criteria for assigning a course grade.
Assessment methods may include the following:
- Wellness Evaluation
- Behavior change design
- Written examinations
- Critical analysis of course material
- Research and application of current literature
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Impacts of Social Determinants of Health on physical activity and fitness status
- Factors impacting cardiovascular health and disease
- Benefits and principles of cardiovascular fitness
- Benefits and principles of muscular strength and endurance
- Benefits and principles of flexibility, balance, and agility
- Benefits and principles of healthy body weight, composition, and size
- Benefits and principles of stress management
- Benefits and principles of healthier food choices
- Environmental concerns and personal safety issues
- Components and principles of behavior change theory