CCOG for GEO 270 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- GEO 270
- Course Title:
- Creating a Map Portfolio
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Course is intended for students completing a GIS Certificate or taking a series of GIS courses. Students will create a professional-level portfolio of their own maps in preparation for graduation and seeking employment.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon the completion of the course students should be able to:
- Create a professional presentation of work demonstrating the analytical, cartographic, and technical skills required to qualify for employment.
- Identify, critique, and revise appropriate maps for inclusion in a portfolio.
- Receive constructive feedback and make appropriate revisions to maps in response to feedback.
- Demonstrate effective map production and presentation.
- Use a variety of software platforms to create a professional presentation of maps.
Course Activities and Design
This course will include lecture, evaluation of sample portfolios, map critiques, and discussion. Students will use outside lab hours for revising maps from previous coursework that will be included in their professional portfolio, and creating a print or web portfolio of those maps.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be evaluated based on the completion and presentation of a professional-level Map Portfolio. Additionally, students will be evaluated based on their participation in class map critiques, discussion, and activities.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Professional-level map presentation
Map critique, map revisions, design, communication, and presentation
- Arrange map projects and other works as part of a professional portfolio
- Apply Cartographic and Portfolio concepts at a professional level
- Provide constructive feedback to others for improvement of their portfolios
- Revise maps based on the constructive feedback of their peers