CCOG for FP 166 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- FP 166
- Course Title:
- Bldg Const for Fire Protection
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Covers the components of building construction related to firefighter and life safety. Includes the classifications of building construction and the theoretical concepts of how fire impacts major types of building construction. Prerequisites: FP 112, MTH 60, (WR 115 or IRW 115), and (RD 90 or IRW 90) or equivalent placement.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Use an understanding of the principles of building construction and functions of each principal structural component applied to firefighter safety, building codes, fire prevention, inspections, and emergency response strategy and tactics.
- Analyze the hazards and tactical considerations associated with the major types of building construction and occupancy designations in accordance with the accepted building code.
- Respond to the indicators of potential structural failure under different emergency situations.
- Apply the knowledge of fire resistance, flame spread, and the testing procedures used to establish ratings for each to construction types and materials.