Frequently Asked Questions
Sylvania HT 206 | 971-722-4795
- How do I get to the Sylvania Campus?
- Check out the Sylvania Campus web page. Included are a campus map, driving directions and TriMet routes.
- Is the Sylvania Campus the only campus with this program?
- How do I print out my unofficial PCC transcript from the internet?
- You may print your own unofficial transcript from the Internet. Log in to MyPCC (my.pcc.edu), go to the My Courses tab, and click on Unofficial Transcript.
- What type of degree will I have when finished with the program?
- Associate of Applied Science Degree
- Do I have to be finished with prerequisites to apply?
- All prerequisites must be completed by the application deadline. If you plan to register for a course at PCC that has a prerequisite and the prerequisite was completed at an another institution, you will need a prerequisite override. Call or email the PCC Health Admissions Office.
- How competitive is PCC's Dental Hygiene program?
PCC’s Dental Hygiene Program is highly competitive. We typically receive 120-150 applications each year for 20 spaces.
2012 Statistics for applicants invited to the proctored essay:
- Average overall GPA: 3.6
- Average science GPA: 3.88
- Percent complete with all support courses: 93%
- Percent with a prior degree: 29%
- Percent with CDA/work in a dental office/dental assisting training: 68%
- Percent with job shadowing only: 29%
- Can applications be hand-delivered?
- Do I need to include official or unofficial transcripts with my application?
- Transcripts must be official (in a sealed envelope from the college).
- Do I need to submit official transcripts for each school I have attended?
- Only transcripts from institutions where you completed a prerequisite course, degree or other requirement for the program need to be submitted.
- If I have taken classes at PCC, do I need to request official transcripts from PCC?
- Can I send official transcripts with my application or does the college I attended have to send them?
- Transcripts must be submitted with the application. You can contact your institution and ask that they be sent to you, then submit the sealed copy when you turn in your application.
- Can I use my placement test scores to substitute for taking a course?
- No. Placement test scores are only used to determine which course you should take. We will not use placement test scores in place of the required course, even if the placement is higher than the course we require.
- What's the profile of a competitive applicant?
- Competitive applicants typically have at least a 3.5 GPA, A's in the prerequisite courses, some experience in a dental setting, and completed support courses.
- Is it required to be a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) to apply? Do CDA's have a better chance of getting into the program?
- Being a CDA is not required to apply to the Dental Hygiene program. Applicants who are CDAs or have at least one year of work experience in a dental setting can earn up to 10 points. Points are awarded based on employer or instructor evaluations.
- What are my chances of getting into the program?
- We tend to have around 200 applicants and we accept 20 to start the program each year.
- Can I transfer on to get a Bachelor's degree?
- Yes. Many of our students finish their Bachelor's degree through Eastern Washington University (classes are taken at Clark College in Vancouver, WA).
- What's the difference between an Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree in Dental Hygiene?
- Both degrees will allow you to sit for the national board exam and become a Registered Dental Hygienist. A Bachelor's degree provides additional education and prepares dental hygienists to assume key roles in educational and other settings.
- Do I need to apply to PCC to apply to the Dental Hygiene program?
- Yes. You can apply in person at any PCC Admissions office or online at Admissions.
If you have a question you think should go on the FAQ page, let us know!