Apply Online for Scholarships
Things to Remember
- STARS works best when you use Internet Explorer to complete the application.
- All applications must include two recommendations submitted online. Letters can be written by teachers, faculty, staff, mentors, coaches, employers, etc.
- Scholarship awards are for PCC tuition, fees and eligible educational expenses only.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Students are limited to a lifetime maximum of $7,000 in scholarship support from the PCC Foundation.
- Applications Open:
- Monday, January 7, 2013
- Applications Due:
- The scholarship cycle for the 2013-14 academic year is closed. The new scholarship cycle starts in January 2014.
- email@example.com, PCC Foundation
- Scholarships available:
- Scholarship List. Check the scholarship list often. The Foundation will add new scholarships as they become available.
How to Apply
Step 1: Complete the FAFSA
Complete the FAFSA and print the confirmation page. It has your EFC score, which you'll enter into your online STARS application.
If you are an international student or not eligible to submit a FAFSA, complete the Financial Need Worksheet and submit to the Foundation. If you are an international student who needs assistance filling out the financial worksheet, visit the Office of International Education.
Step 2: Write your essays
- Essay question 1:
- (up to 350 words) - Explain your career goals and your educational plan to meet these goals.
- Essay question 2:
- (up to 350 words) - Describe an obstacle or challenge you faced in the last 10 years. What did you learn about yourself from this experience?
- Essay question 3:
- (up to 350 words) - Describe a personal accomplishment and the strengths and skills you used to achieve it.
Some scholarships will have additional questions - these will be listed in the STARS online application.
Step 3: Secure two letters of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required. Applications without two letters will be considered incomplete and thus deleted. The letters can be written by teachers, faculty, staff, coaches, mentors, employers, supervisors, etc. Submit your letters electronically in the online STARS application. There are two options for submitting your letters:
- Option 1: Scan and upload paper letters
- If you have a paper letter, scan it and upload it to your online STARS application. Letters must include the following:
- How long and in what capacity the person has known you.
- Skills and qualities you possess that will help you succeed at PCC. Include examples that demonstrate these qualities/skills.
- Your academic or professional/work performance highlighting specific details.
- Option 2: Use the recommendation letter feature in the online STARS application
- In STARS, fill out the Recommender Information form. In the dropdown box, select “Recommendation Request” to email your recommender a link and letter of recommendation template.
Step 4: Have official transcripts sent to PCC Foundation
- Current PCC students do not need to submit transcripts.
- If you are not a current PCC student you will need to secure an official transcript. Your school can email it to the Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can mail it to the Foundation at PCC Foundation, PO Box 19000, Portland, OR 97280. Unofficial transcripts will not be considered.
Step 5: Complete the PCC STARS Online Application
- STARS works best with Internet Explorer.
- Once you start and save the application online, you can return to it at a later time. Save often to avoid losing information.
- Applications can be changed and are not "final" until February 15, 2013 at 5pm, when they are locked by the Foundation.
- Apply for up to five scholarships or "multiples". Multiples are groups of similar scholarships that count as one.
- Do not apply for more than five scholarships/multiples. If you do, we will delete all but five.
- One of the scholarships you apply for must be for an award of $1,000 or less.
Sections in the PCC STARS Application:
- Personal information
- The personal information section gathers information to process your application and to notify you about your award.
- If you have been a PCC student, carefully enter your PCC ID number, which starts with the letter G. Incorrect ID numbers will delay consideration of your application.
- If you have never been a PCC student, use the ID generator and STARS will create a number for you.
- Enter your PCC email address. Award letters will be sent to PCC email addresses. If you do not have a PCC email address, enter another email address and notify us as soon as you register and get a PCC email address.
- Opening questionnaire
The questionnaire collects information that helps PCC STARS list the scholarships for which you are most closely qualified. You will be asked to select the degree or certificate you are seeking. If you are unsure what degree or certificate you will pursue, select the one that most closely matches your goals.
- Academic information
- This screen will prompt you for academic information.
- If you have completed 0-44 credits at PCC, enter freshman as your Grade Status
- if you have completed 45 or more, enter sophomore.
- Recommended scholarships
- Based on your questionnaire responses, this feature will show you a list of scholarships applicable to you.
- If you don’t see a scholarship you would like to apply for, click on the “View All” button at the top right of the list.
- If the scholarship still does not appear; return to the questionnaire to select the correct option (e.g., the type of degree you are pursuing) to view/apply for that scholarship.
- Once you have completed applying, click the “Done Applying for Scholarships” button to save and log out.
Applicants must provide information that is complete and accurate and may be asked to supply additional documentation such as tax returns. Applicants found to have intentionally misrepresented information will have their scholarship rescinded.
Apply in January 2014!
Our current scholarship cycle, for the next academic year 2013-14, is now closed. The new scholarship cycle starts in January 2014. However, please check back in December 2013 for updates on the scholarships we offer, by visiting the Scholarship List.
What Happens Next?
Following the application deadline, the Foundation will forward all completed applications and related documents to the reviewers. All applicants whether they are awarded a scholarship or not, will be notified via email by May 31, 2013. If selected, the student will need to:
- Return the required materials (scholarship agreement, a thank you letter, and a photo) to the Foundation office.
- Maintain the enrollment and academic status as indicated by the scholarship criteria.
Disclaimer: Many of the scholarships offered by Portland Community College Foundation are funded by local organizations, individuals and corporations. Scholarship criteria or the availability of scholarships is subject to change.