- Course Number:
- WLD 254
- Course Title:
- SMAW Certification Practice 3/8" Mild Steel (E7018)
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionPractice for the American Welding Society Mild Steel Welding Certification tests using SMAW low hydrogen electrodes in the vertical, horizontal and overhead positions. Department permission required. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, computer based instruction, and lab demonstrations. Course outcomes will include: theoretical concepts, layout, fabrication, welding, oxyfuel cutting, safety and environmental awareness, communication, computations and human relations.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, visual inspection techniques, welding tests, safe work habits, task performance and work relations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Shop.
- Practice personal safety by using proper protective gear.
- Practice hand and power tool safety.
- Practice equipment safety for welding and oxy fuel cutting systems.
- Maintain a safe work area.
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections.
- Understand and practice fire prevention.
- Access and explain the importance Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
Demonstrate professional work ethics
- Track training hours on time card
- Perform projects in accordance to specifications and procedures
- Follow directions in a positive manner
- Manage time productively
- Respects equipment and others
- Demonstrate skill in problem solving and decision making
Apply math and science concepts to the welding related process.
- Determine heat input utilizing algebraic equations.
- Explain the Importance of Code Qualification
- Describe mechanical properties testing in regards to the requirements set forth in AW S D1.1 Structural Welding Code Steel
- Describe the significance of bend testing and the effects of the E6011 vs E7018 Electrodes on Bend Test Results, Tensile Testing and Charpy V-Notch Impact Testing
Prepare material to industry standards using the band saw; oxyfuel portable and track cutting systems and grinders
- Identify major components of the saw.
- Explain safe operational procedures for the saw.
- Demonstrate the safe operation of the saw.
- Demonstrate correct setup and shutdown procedures for the hand cutting and track cutting systems .
- Perform oxy fuel cutting with guided practice.
- Identify the major components of the grinders.
- Explain safe operational procedures for the grinders.
- Demonstrate the safe operation of the grinders.
Interpret drawing and symbols to accurately layout, prepare and assemble weld joints
- Interpret lines, symbols and verbiage on project drawing
- Layout material per drawing specifications
- Use the oxyfuel cutting process to cut material to specified dimensions.
- Grind material to meet specifications.
- Assemble weld project per specification.
Weld test assembly with the E7018 to code quality standards in the vertical and overhead positions
- Use correct terminology.
- Define terms used in the SMAW process.
- Equipment identification, setup, shut down, and principles of operation for SMAW.
- Power source identification and adjustment.
- Welding lead, connections, inspection, and use.
- Electrode identification, characteristics, and use.
- Know essential variables of SMAW by demonstrating the effects of the following variables: current, travel speed, electrode angle and arc length.
- Demonstrate correct welding techniques with the E7018
- Starting and stopping
- Overlapping welds
- Follow welding procedure
- Demonstrate correct welding techniques in the following joints:
- Vertical Position - Single v-groove weld
- Overhead Position - Single v-groove weld
- Demonstrate visual examination principles and practices in accordance AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Code.
- Develop knowledge of AWS D1.1requirements in qualification procedures.
- Use Welding Procedure Specification to set up and weld qualification coupons
- Develop knowledge and skills of the welder qualification procedures on 3/8 plate coupons using 7018.
- Utilize welding code to reference weld profile inspection criteria.
- Prepare and bend test plates in accordance with AWS D1.1.
- Evaluate Bend test samples in accordance with AWS D1.1 to determine acceptability.